Monday, October 18, 2010

Selamat Datang Pekanbaru

     This Friday marks one month since Brian and I arrived in Pekanbaru. The time has passed quickly, but what a time it has been! In only four weeks I have had the pleasure of meeting not only the Mayor of Pekanbaru, but the Governor of Riau province. I have attended two traditional Malay weddings, and have made friends with several locals. With nothing more than my status as a buleh (white foreigner), I have become an instant celebrity.
    The city of Pekanbaru is far from the largest city on Sumatra; but, it is nevertheless as industrious as any other major city. Pekanbaru boasts three large malls that rival those in America, a huge library, countless salons, and bakeries intermingled with traditional markets and street vendors. I have been able to find pretty much everything that I need within the plethora of shops around Pekanbaru. There is a two-story Ace Hardware where I can buy American cleaning and household products, and Pizza Hut and KFC if I get a craving for Americana. There is even an ice cream truck and a bakery truck, and I can hear their jingles driving down the street. It is a joke among the people who live here that Pekanbaru has no mountains, no beach, and no attractions; so, Pekanbaru has shopping.
     I enjoy walking around the city, and I often go exploring after school. As one of the only bulehs in town I am easy to spot and everywhere I go I am greeted by shouts of “Miss, how are you?” or “Hello Miss, where are you going?” The only person I have found who speaks to me normally, without bursting into a fit of giggles, is the woman who does my laundry. I think that washing my dirty underwear has taken me down from my American pedestal. I have found most people to be extremely friendly and helpful, and those that speak English are eager to practice with a native speaker. Twice I have been engaged in English conversation with strangers who then insisted on buying me dinner afterwards. The hospitality of these people ceases to amaze me. 

                                                     

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your library!!!! oooooo!! and the weddings are amazing!!!!!! I wish we dressed like that!!!! gosh, I wish I could come stay with you and explore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save up your money Miss. Mazza- you are welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as though you are adjusting quite nicely!
    Awesome pics keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing blog..
    i will always wait for the next post..
    This Looks like a diary of your journey...
    :D

    i'm Suwandi...
    hope you still remember me Miss..
    (i'm currently using my brother Gmail account to comment in this blog)

    ReplyDelete