Friday, April 29, 2011

Tackling the Togeans

Whoever said "getting there is half the fun" must have made the journey to the Togean islands. Three days of travel were required for me to reach the islands- including three flights (beginning from my site in Sumatra), a very nauseating 6-hour ride in a van, a 4-hour ferry, and finally a private speed boat to our resort. What awaited us was well worth the effort; rugged wilderness, deserted white sand beaches, turquoise waters fading into royal blue, diverse coral reefs, sunsets that looked as though they had been painted, and night skies glittering with stars. We read to our heart's content in seaside hammocks, snorkeled in coves around the island, explored the wilds of the jungle (although "got our butts kicked by the jungle" might be more appropriate), and went to sleep at night to the sound of the waves crashing quite literally outside of our open french doors. While all of this would be enough to make the mouth water of even the most cosmopolitan island-hopper, it was made even more perfect by the company. As our last vacation together in Indonesia I couldn't have asked for more. The friends I have made this year are truly amazing and without them this experience would not have been the same. To the Togeans, and to my friends, without whom this would have been possible...but much less enjoyable.

Since my words can only begin to describe the beauty of the Togean Islands, check out the pictures from my trip.

                   

1 comment:

  1. yep just got chills... really fucking cool. and wow I love the baby in the bamboo! I honestly cant wait to see you and hear about all of this in person.. really do miss you- will be SUPER nice to have you back around soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete