Sunday, September 26, 2010

Advice from the Stones

My father is known to quote the Stones: “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you find you get what you need.” This has been my motto for the past few days. I may not have gotten what I wanted in terms of housing, but I did get what I need in the form of the most loving and supportive peer teacher group anyone could ask for.


I am currently living in an offshoot of an older couples home with two bedrooms, two Indonesian bathrooms and a small living area. My living space is connected to that of my landlords with a wall of sheer-curtained windows. Bu Jus (the land lady) and I have formed a relationship over gestures and misunderstood Bahasa Indonesia. She usually talks at me in bahasa while hugging some part of my body, and I smile, make non-committal noises and butcher responses in bahasa.

The house is dusted with mold and cobwebs although the landlord’s maid claims she cleans it twice a week. Small geckos and spiders make themselves at home, but I don’t disturb them because I hope they’ll eat the flies, ants, and mosquitoes also residing here. The ants that have moved in are the smallest ants I have ever seen and have only taken to attacking the small amount of American food I have left- even through a Ziploc bag!

My bedroom is air conditioned which is a blessing, although it hasn’t been hotter or more humid than a Maryland summer yet. I have to be careful with the air conditioning since there is no hot water to shower with- an Indonesian standard. I learned quickly to only turn the air conditioning on after I shower so that I don’t freeze. On a positive note, I’m conserving a ton of water!


The staff at my school have been generous with fixing up the space and have even offered me alternative housing which I hope to go check out this week. If it works out I’ll be moving in three months when my rent is up. Until then I’ll try to keep my chin up and keep singing “you can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes…”

5 comments:

  1. Ive heard its character building to live as you are....guess it's another way to look at it:)
    Glad you are well and have made friends and a "mom". Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for the other place to come through for you. What is the difference between a western toilet and an indonesian toilet? I have a few ideas just wondering?

    ReplyDelete
  3. farmer fred is indeed a very wise fella. Him and good o'l will should write a book of wisdom. Now Kels, you don't let them pissy ants take control! I'm glad to hear you have air conditioning... ours went out at work for two days and you know how i am kels..sp's....hollyshit, I'd take a cold shower over hotness any day..But any who..It's great you have a fantastic peer teacher group. love you love you! hopefully we can get our skype on soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Cyb... an Indonesian toilet is basically a toilet bowl set in the floor with grooved foot holds on either side. You squat and do your thing- I've actually gotten pretty good at not peeing on myself. Then you flush using a bucket of water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man! I gotta get one of those toilets for my house. Kelly, Katie, Jeni and Allie won't hog the bathroom so much.

    ReplyDelete