Friday, September 17, 2010

An Ibu by Any Other Name...

A small, dark-skinned Indonesian woman in a bright head scarf excitedly greets me with a hug, and a kiss on each cheek. Her name is Hadijah, or Ibu Hadijah for me, and she will be my counterpart for the next nine months. In Indonesia, Ibu is a term used to show respect for older women; but, Ibu also means Mom, and Bu Hadijah encompasses every sense of the word. We have only known each other since Tuesday, but she is already worrying about me and has told me that I am like another daughter to her (she has three children- 2 in University and 1 in Junior High School). She is very uneasy about me living alone and has offered to pick me up and drive me to school everyday- a 2 kilometer/10 minute walk- so that no one "follows me." She is worried that the Pekanbaru heat will be too much for me and has created my teaching schedule so that I have rest periods on long days. She admits to being overprotective; but, I hope that this trait of hers will help put to rest the fears of my family in the states.
                                            
                                                      Me, Ibu Hadijah, and Ibu Falin (Brian's counterpart in Pekanbaru)

Bu Hadijah has prepared my two-bedroom house, paying careful attention to the kitchen because she loves to cook and hopes that I will too. Although my idea of "cooking" is most likely very different from hers. I will be living directly next to my landlords, an older couple, who like Bu Hadijah are also worried about a young woman living alone. They have requested that I tell them when I am leaving and that I do not come home later than ten o'clock at night. I will also be living close to a bunch of University students; but, my Bu thinks that they will be trouble. Unfortunately, I will not be able to settle into my new house until the middle of next week. I am currently back in Jakarta waiting for further instructions to fly out to Singapore and finally obtain my visa.  I am crossing my fingers that everything will work out and that I will be settled and ready to begin teaching within the week. 

6 comments:

  1. Aw Kels so glad you have people to watch you back over there! Not that you need it, but it def makes us all feel better!! I'm so excited for you to start teaching! Good luck, I know you'll do great!! And I can wait for you to come home and be able to cook us some authentic Indonesian food =) Love you boo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm reading a story book : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as though you are adjusting well and keeping busy. I am very glad to hear that someone is worried and looking out for you. I do feel a bit better. Miss you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked Ibu to teach me how to cook- so maybe I'll be quite the Indonesian chef when I get home...only problem is that I think most of the food here is gross, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mazza, we are reading alittle book. I enjoy reading all bout everything thats going on...

    Very glad to hear you are be watched so nothing bad happenes to you!!!

    ReplyDelete