Tuesday, February 1, 2011

An Indonesian Welcome

After returning home from the conference I had one of those weeks that required an "oh, Indonesia" while shaking my head in defeat. My first night home the plastic chair off of my front porch was stolen- not while I was gone for an entire week- but the night after I returned. After missing it for the day I walked down to my neighbor's house to find it comfortably situated on his front porch (note: we've had issues with chair ownership since I moved in). The next morning I woke to find a rat's head and entrails on my front porch next to the chair that I had stolen back- (I'm taking this as a sign that I've been accepted by the cat community). When trying to clean up the entrails I realized that my water pump had stopped working and thus, I had no water. With an hour before I needed to be to school and sweaty from my morning run, I unabashedly took my plastic mop bucket to the spigot on the building in front of mine and stole a bucket of water to shower with. The next day I received  a call from AMINEF to say that the head of the Asian Fulbright commission was coming to Pekanbaru to visit on the same weekend that my Mom and sister were to arrive, and would I mind changing my plans to show him around? On top of it all monsoons descended upon Pekanbaru and it rained unceasingly all week.

Today my Mom and sister are scheduled to arrive in Pekanbaru in one hour. My chair has stayed in place, my water pump has decided to work again, and I wrote to AMINEF that there was no way I would miss time with my family no matter who was coming to visit. Brian has good naturedly agreed to rubbing elbows without me. Unfortunately with all of the rain the laundry that I dropped off on Friday with all of my towels and sheets was not dry when I went to pick it up today. I sure hope that my Mom and sister don't mind sharing for awhile. Having experienced life here it seems too fitting- welcome to Indonesia Mom and Cybbie!

1 comment:

  1. O Kelsey lol..I love how you found your stolen chair hahaha. I can't wait to hear about Momma bear n cybbies adventure!

    ReplyDelete