Friday, February 11, 2011

A Sure Thing

 Most things in Indonesia are uncertain- electricity and running water are often mati (off/not working), classes are often cancelled on a whim, and flights are more often than not, late- but the one sure thing in Indonesia is that behind every corner lurks an eager Indonesian with a camera phone ready to shoot the unsuspecting buleh. I've been photographed in the most unimaginable places- on the side of the road while running, on a gangway into an airplane, while waiting in the airport, in front of a monument in Bali, and yes, even while I've been teaching. My most favorite photo shoot occurred while visiting Bukit Tinggi in West Sumatra- a young mother thrust her baby into my arms and then proceeded to photograph us with various members of her family. I sometimes wonder just how many photos I've been in since arriving in Indonesia and I can only imagine that numerous family albums contain photographs of an unidentified female buleh. It makes me laugh to think of all of the children who have been shoved at me for a photo, like the baby in Bukit Tinggi, who will look back on their childhood photographs only to ask "Mom, who's this white lady in the picture with me?." So it was no surprise that after only three days in Indonesia grainy photographs of my Mom and sister appeared on facebook compliments of my students and their ever ready camera phones.

My Mom and sister's Indonesian adventure was the fastest ten days of my experience thus far and filled with a plethora of emotions. They arrived exhausted and overwhelmed by the stark contrast between the first and third worlds. Those first few days were stressful to say the least as they tried to assimilate into Indonesian culture and recover from their 24 hour flight, and I tried to make them as comfortable as possible while protecting them from some of the rawness of this country. They were troopers though and happily (at least on the outside) endured a day at my school where they had various foods pushed at them and were photographed at least a hundred times, a lunch at the home of one of my Ibus, and a bumpy flight to Bali. Our time spent in Bali was much more relaxing since the westernization of the island as a tourist destination allowed them such comforts as a gorgeous beach side resort with pristine pools and a western breakfast buffet; restaurants that served food sans chile; and a little anonymity with other white-skinned, pointy-nosed people abounding. We lounged by the beach and pools; perfected the art of bargain shopping; took in some cultural dances and art; played cards; caught up; and overall just enjoyed being together. Our parting on Thursday was tearful and left me feeling a little empty; but, I am more than grateful that they braved the long journey and distant lands. As I write they are probably picking up their luggage from the carousel in BWI airport- happy to be home. Like being photographed in Indonesia my family is always a sure thing and I hope that they are as glad as I am that they made the long trek for such a short visit.

The three of us inside a 1,000 year old Hindu Temple.
  

2 comments:

  1. I already miss you like crazy!!!! I am so glad I braved it to get to spend time with you again. If only for the short amount of time. Love your pointy nosed sister.

    ReplyDelete