Sunday, August 15, 2010

Slight Change of Plans

All of the past Fulbright recipients who I've talked to have told me that working with the American Indonesian Exchange Foundation (AMINEF) can be extremely frustrating, and I have to say that I now totally agree. I found out this past Friday, that I not only need to obtain my visa from the Indonesian embassy in Washington D.C.; but, that my assignment in Indonesia has been changed. I have been assured that my visa can be processed in one day, so tomorrow it's off to Washington!

As for my assignment, I will no longer be on the island of West Papua in the town of Kuala Kencana. Apparently, AMINEF was unable to obtain teaching permits for any English teaching assistant for that location. So, we have now been moved to the other side of the country to the island of Sumatra, and the city of Pekanbaru. As for the details of my stay I can honestly say that I know as much as you; but, as soon as I get there I hope to be more informed. I am excited about the change, since it seems like I'll have more freedom to explore the island and to travel. I've included a map so you can see exactly where I will be located, and as soon as I know anything I'll be sure to post! 4 days to go!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that today in DC went ok. I hope the rest goes well too.

    ReplyDelete