Friday, August 27, 2010

Some Like it Hot

Hot- the only adjective used by our coordinator to describe Pekanbaru, my home for the next 9 months. Considering that she is Indonesian and used to the heat, I may be a little worried. While I will not actually be living in Pekanbaru until the third week of September, I have been told a little about the city. Pekanbaru is a large town/city, and the school I will be teaching in is very large. My accommodations will be dorm-like, with a bedroom, bathroom (with western toilet) and small kitchen, kind-of like a rented room. Much different than the 5-star hotels that we have been used to for the past week, and which we will be living in until September 17th. I will be teaching English in a Muslim vocational school to 10th grade students for the first three months, and 11th grade students for the last 3 months. It will be a challenge considering that each grade has about 300 students (split between classes) and that I am used to teaching a much younger set. However, I believe that everything happens for a reason; so, I will make the best of this experience to strengthen my skills as a teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't Pikachu one of the Pokemon characters? I was thinking about it and the heat is good for you, since your resting body temperature is about 84 degrees, it will bring your temperature back up among us living folks.....

    Do you know if your living area will be with the other teachers from the US? Will you all be in the same building? I sounds like it definitely be an adventure! We love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good attitude Kels!! You'll do great, they'll prob all have crushes on you lol! I miss you SOO much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the older kids - and the MUCH larger classroom size... You will definitely be getting a crash course in classroom management! I've been thinking about you - hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete